By: Missy Sorg
It’s Easter! For those of you that gave up sweets for lent, you’re in for a super special treat for the holiday. I don’t know about you, but I’m a huge fan of carrot cake. Why not treat your crew with some fabulous carrot cake cupcakes?
*1 c pecans(chopped) *OPTIONAL (especially if you have friends/family with food allergies)
*1 tbsp butter (melted)
*1/8 tsp salt
2 ½ c flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ c buter (softened)
1 c granulated sugar
1 c light brown sugar (firmly packed)
½ c canola oil
¾ c milk
2 tsp vanilla
3 c grated carrot
1 c grated Granny Smith apples
1 c flaked coconut (sweetened)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. If using pecans, use the melted butter and salt to coat the nuts, then spread the coated nuts out in a single layer in a foil- lined pan. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from oven and stir/flip nuts. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until done.
2. In a bowl, stir together flour, soda, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3. In a mixing bowl, beat butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until blended.
4. Add oil and beat until blended.
5. Add eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended.
6. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with milk.
7. Stir in vanilla.
8. Fold in carrots, apples, coconut, and *toasted pecans.
9. Spoon batter into lined muffin tin.
10. Bake at 350° for 18-20 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Once the cupcakes are cool, ice them with your favorite icing and decorate them so they’re super cute. Me? I’m a fan of these adorable “bunny butt” cupcakes.