By: Missy Sorg
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits of summer. You can eat them by themselves, or you can add them to a ton of different things. You’ve got strawberry shortcake, strawberry pie, strawberry muffins, etc. And, if you add in rhubarb or other berries, the options are exponential.
This brings us to chocolate. Chocolate is one of my favorite food groups after all.
A strawberry cupcake with some rich chocolate icing and a fresh strawberry on top? Where do I sign up?
Right here, my friends. Right here.
2 ¼ c Flour
1 ½ c Sugar
3 ½ Tbsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp Salt
1 Tsp Vanilla
1 ½ c Water
½ c Oil
¼ c Crushed Strawberries
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add vanilla, water, oil, and eggs. Mix well.
- Stir in crushed strawberries.
- Place in lined cupcake pan and bake at 350° for approximately 20 minutes.
Now that you have the strawberry cupcakes ready, it’s time to make the icing while they cool! If you’re like me, you like your chocolate icing super chocolatey – especially to go with your strawberry cupcakes.
- 1 c Vegetable Shortening
- 1 c Baking Cocoa
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 2-lb Bag Confectioner’s Sugar
- ½ c Water (Cold)
- Beat together shortening, cocoa, and vanilla to form a paste-like consistency.
- Add ½ bag of confectioner’s sugar to combine.
- Add water (a little bit at a time) to beat to a creamy consistency.
- Add remaining confectioner’s sugar.
- Add more water (a little bit at a time) to thin to a spreadable consistency.
- Beat on high speed until icing is light and fluffy.
If you’ve taken the time to properly make the icing, it should have taken you anywhere between 10-20 minutes. By now, your cupcakes should be cool enough to add icing. Once you’ve got them iced, take some strawberries, halve them, and stick them on top for a nice finish. If your guests are anything like mine, they’ll love being able to take that bit of strawberry and dollop some of the icing to eat with it!