By: Amanda Narcisi
The most amazing thing happened to Pittsburgh this year and while we all celebrated it at least once; no one really appreciated what went into the Bicentennial of Pittsburgh. We all saw the logo all over the city for the Bicentennial, but with only a few months left to celebrate this amazing Birthday what shall the city do to go out with a bang. (Yes they include fireworks)
Phipps Conservatory made a special miniature railroad that highlights the old and new of Pittsburgh. It even includes a Rubber Duck that is a throwback to the great Rubber Ducky of 2013. It has a few dozen moving parts to the railroad. The railroad will be on display through March.
On Saturday November 14th The Chocolate Bar is happening at the Benedum Center and will include a Bicentennial Bar Suite and some special treats including truffles filled with Wigle Whiskey.
As the holiday season grows near Light-Up Night is set for November 18th with the return of the Holiday Market and lighting of the Christmas Tree. This year will be special for the Bicentennial when they set the Rachel Carson Bridge in Lights with a special art installation with lights and sound.
First Night on New Years Eve will bring the BiCentennial to a close with a special event called “The Next 200 Years”. It will have all the family friendly events along with the parades and the raising of the 1000lb ball of lights at midnight. There is usually a few bands and this year the main music act is Nigel Hall Band.
Throughout the end of the year you can find really great merchandise that gives this birthday a lot of flair.
- Wigle Whiskey created a special whiskey for the Bicentennial and 200 bottles were made with Bill Peduto’s signature.
- Wendall August has created a whole line that includes glassware, coasters and ornaments. They also designed two large ornaments for the Christmas Tree for Light-Up Night.
- Rick Antolic created a special adult coloring book all about Pittsburgh.
- Paul Michael Designs located in Lawrenceville create the special Bicentennial Pin and a few other items including a Pittsburgh city scape cuff links.
- Pinot’s Palette will be hosting a special Pittsburgh weekend of paintings November 18th & 19th.
- Steel City Chess is offering $20 off a chess set at SteelCityChess.com with code PGH200
For more information on the Bicentennial of Pittsburgh check out pgh200.com. We look forward to the next 200 years.